Disadvantages of Using Rat Poison

Disadvantages of Using Rat Poison

The Goodnature A24 is an easy yet effective solution to your pest problem. This trap works in a humane way without the use of poison or toxins, and operates efficiently in gardens, lofts and other rural and urban environments.

Poison is often the first resort when solving a pest problem. This approach is more straightforward as opposed to setting up multiple snap traps. However, there are several significant disadvantages associated with using poison to control populations, that are worth serious consideration.

Maize Antidote

Typical rat poisoning reduces the rodents ability to regulate Vitamin K. A deficiency in this particular vitamin, leads to the thinning of the blood causing internal bleeding and haemorrhages. Rat poisons can be very slow acting, it can take up to 2 weeks for the poison to have an effect on the rodents.

Maize is a crop that is an effective antidote for rat poison, as it is rich in Vitamin K. As the rats are not killed instantly, they can scurry away and find themselves in a farmers barn, where there are large amounts of harvested maize. Rats can also eat straight from the field, but they are more likely to feed from the harvested crop in barns. This is where the farmer is most likely to place the traps. The poison will no longer have an effect as they have eaten the large amounts of the antidote, where they can then find their way back to your land or property.

With the Goodnature A24, the rats die instantly, without the use of poison. This prevents rats from digesting the poison and scurrying off to other parts of your house or garden to die, or from finding Maize in crop fields.

Secondary poisoning

Once pests have ingested poison, there is a high chance that it can lead to secondary poisoning.

Unsuspecting predators are exposed to poison once they have eaten the rodents, ingesting the poison themselves. These predators often  include birds of prey, such as Barn Owls and Buzzards. All birds, their nests and eggs are protected by law and therefore, it is an offence to kill, injure or take any wild bird.

The poison will make the predators dazed and more likely to react and move slower. In residential areas, predators are likely to be hit by cars due to their slowed down reaction time, then eaten by other animals. An ongoing problem has been created as the poison continues to be passed along the food chain. Domesticated cats may also ingest parts of the rodents, as they have found poisoned rats out on their travels, whether these may be dead or alive.

The Goodnature A24 prevents secondary poisoning. It’s small, easy to install and delivers a powerful impact that dispatches pests efficiently everytime, using bait instead of poison. The deceased rats are then eaten by predators, and since no poison has been ingested, the predators are not at risk. The Goodnature A24 is also predator proof. The rodents must climb up into a chamber where the bait is kept, in order for the trap to work.

Hard to clean up

Rats do not drop down dead as soon as they have eaten the poison as it can take up to two weeks for the poison to have any effect. This delay means the rat will not have stayed in the same place as where you planted the pellets, where you would then dispose of the carcass. The rat still has the ability to travel anywhere, including around your house. Dead rodents can appear anywhere and can often be found in places where you may not frequently check. For example, they may find their way into your loft. A dead rodent will attract all kinds of other pests and problems.

A rat may also only eat a few pellets of poison, leaving some behind. This is another problems in itself, as it becomes a danger to pets and children. You’ll have to remember and go back to where you placed the poison in order to clean it up.

With the Goodnature A24 rat trap, there is no use of poison and the rat is killed instantly. This eliminates all clean up jobs. You know exactly where the rodent will be, so that you can dispose of it if it has not been eaten already.

Danger to children and pets

In 2010, a news article revealed that nearly 10,000 children are exposed to rat poisoning in America every year. Statistics have not been updated since, and there is no available data for the UK. However, rat poisoning still remains a danger to young children and pets.

Bait is used to attract rodents to the pellets. Peanut butter, molasses and grains are all common bait ingredients, which are highly attractive to children and domesticated dogs and cats. Pet owners may place these off the floor and out of reach, however, this defeats the objective as they have been removed from the rodents pathways.

Poison pellets are available in a range of bright colours. To a young inquisitive child, these may resemble sweets. Unsupervised children can come into contact with the poison and snap traps, as they play and explore. Poisoned children can suffer internal bleeding, anemia, nosebleeds and in some serious cases can induce comas.

The Goodnature A24 eliminates the need for poison or dangerous snap traps. The trigger and rodent bait is concealed, making them a safer alternative to have around children and pets, in and outside the home.

 

Read https://ncdequipment.com/2018/06/05/goodnature-a24-rat-trap/ for more information about rat poisoning.

Or visit https://ncdequipment.com/goodnature-pest-control/ for more information about the Goodnature A24.